Thursday 28 March 2013

H-O-L-I-D-A-Y

After my friends come back from a vacation, they very often complain about being more tired than before & wanting a holiday after finishing a holiday. Holidays are not only for rest on the physical level. We overuse our 5 senses in our day-to-day life. A vacation is a good time for physical relaxation & also a mental switch-off.
With most of us planning our holidays for this year, I wanted to share my definition of a perfect H-O-L-I-D-A-Y.

1. Have fun: 
My idea of fun is to meet & talk to new people, see new places, swing in a hammock listen to music and read a book. What’s your idea of fun?

There’s nothing ever right or wrong about what you want to do. Holidays are meant for doing things we normally don’t have time for! Plan, keeping in mind that the activity does not become too physically tiring or mentally exhaustive.

2. Opportunity for adventure / complaint: 

There’s a story where a man checked into a very expensive hotel room & spent the entire night making a comfortable bed for him self. When he was ready to sleep, it was morning already and it was time for him to leave.

There are always a variety of unplanned situations we encounter on a holiday.

I remind myself that I am not on duty, this is not office, so things don’t have to be perfect; It’s a holiday, at least on a holiday let me not complain or get upset about unprecedented situations, instead it helps to simply laugh off the situation and take every moment like a new adventure.

3. Lose your identity & loosen up: 
We play several roles in our everyday life: that of a mother, friend, advisor, manager etc. Holidays are a good time to take a break from the role we play in our everyday lives.

When I am on a holiday, I make it point not to discuss my regular subject, I keep my meditation practices but not necessarily at 5 AM in the morning. I give myself a break, allow myself to loosen up and this is what ensures I work even better after I come back.
4. Innovate:
Its good to go to well known places and follow standard known methods of holiday. It’s even better to innovate & find unbeaten paths; this keeps my excitement levels high,  helps avoid over crowded places and gives me my own space, freedom & time to do what I want to do. 
Also gives me many more stories to talk about with my friends, after I come back.

5. Drink, dine, dress & dance:
Being a vegetarian, its very important for me to find ‘my kind of’ food. Normally in groups, it’s ideal if we have a vast variety of cuisine available. Comfortable dress (which means less number of bags) plus good food & I am ready to dance my way into and out of my holiday!

6. Ask:

If you don’t know what to do or where to go next, then ask! Talking to locals, sharing information with friends and grape vine are excellent avenues for ensuring a good retreat.

7. You…are the most important person on this planet. Don’t forget to spend time with yourself.
Holidays are the only opportunity to simply sit quite, do nothing, watch a flowing river & spend quality time with the best and most important person in this world: YOU!!!!

Message for the week:
I am constantly traveling for teaching Art of Living programs. On a holiday I make it a point to withdraw myself, act without doer-ship, enjoy without worry about what will be, give rest to my 5 senses and I come back totally rejuvenated.

Two trips a year: Once a pleasure trip & once every year, a 4 day Advance Meditation program at the International Art of Living centre, Bangalore, India is my idea of a ‘Perfect Holiday’. See you all at the next one coming up soon.

Happy Holidays,. Happy Summer Vacations.

10 comments:

  1. I've never been able to enjoy any holiday Ive taken in the past as I always carried my stress baggage with me...but after doing my Art Of Living course Im very relaxed, calm and focussed....after reading your article I will definitely let go of myself on my next holiday....Thank you Luckshmiji.....JaiGuruDev!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me holiday is to be alone myself ..... remove all the connections from outside word and make a broadband connection with the inside world .... to know myself and a time to spend it with the bestest friend that is YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you SO MUCH Mikit.
      Your time & effort has made the ShreeG World look so so much MORE beautiful…
      Thank you again & again...

      Delete
  3. Thank you luckshmiji.
    Every time we go for a holiday, my husband loses his temper over small things & does not realise that his attitude ruins the holiday completely.
    I will forward your post to him & hopefully he will understand it is the quality of time spent that is important, all other things are secondary.
    thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      A dear friend had once said 'treat all men like children'; these are wise words, worth remembering on ur next holiday!!

      Delete
  4. I am going for the next holiday in ashram for a advance course with Guruji in May. See you there

    ReplyDelete
  5. these days, holidays have become preparation times for children before they start their new term. There is hardly any free time left for oneself. i loved your last point where u have said the most important person is 'you'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Only if you give your best to yourself, will it be possible to give your best & your 100% to people around you!

      Delete